ADHD is a familial disorder; genetics play a large role and they are the cause of about 92% of cases.
Neurological reasons such as:
- Infections during pregnancy, childbirth or the first few months after birth
- Lack of oxygen
- Brain inflammation
- Drinking alcohol during pregnancy
- Smoking during pregnancy
Are ADHD and mood disorders caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain?
In addition to maternal smoking and drinking mentioned above, there is ongoing research into possible environmental causes.
- Video: The Genetics of ADHD (Dr Max Muenke)
- Video: The Biological Basis of ADHD (Dr James Swanson)
- Video: Environmental Causes of ADHD (Dr Bruce Lanphear)