Tips to help improve the learning environment of the class
- Have the student sit close to the teacher.
- Surround the ADHD student with good students to serve as positive role models.
- Put extra materials away to minimize distractions.
- Enhance listening skills by maintaining good eye contact before giving instructions, placing a hand on the student’s shoulder, and making instructions clear and concise.
- Establish very specific rules such as “Stay in your seat” and “Do not talk” as opposed to “Be good.”
- Repond immediately when disruptive behavior occurs.
- Establish incentive program based on points or tokens to help in classroom management.
- Help them develop self-esteem by smiling, saying pleasant words of praise or recognition, hugging, or giving the student a note of approval.
- Establish realistic and achievable goals
- Develop a good relationship with parents.
Updated: 17 January 2016